Saturday, December 1, 2007

Wal-Mart documentary

Last night I watched the documentary WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price , and if you haven't watched it you should! I have never been a fan of Wal-Mart...in fact, I think I've only been in one about 3 times ever. But after learning about some of their business practices and how they treat their "associates" it is safe to say I am never stepping foot in another Wal-Mart for as long as I live!

I think one of the facts that struck me the most in the documentary was that The Walton Family, which is worth over $95 billion dollars, has only donated 1% of their net worth to philanthropic organizations. Yes, that is still a lot of money. But seriously people, what do you really need with the $94 billion dollars that are left over! Bill and Melinda Gates on the other hand, have donated 58% of their net worth and plan to increase that percentage. It's just such a staggering difference that it is astonishing to me.

I do realize that all documentaries are pretty much shown from one person's point of view, but if even half of what is talked about in this documentary is true (and it is, because I've done a lot of reading on the subject lately), it is just a horrible, horrible company that I do not wish to support with my money. I would much rather spend a bit more money on items and support a company whose ideals are much more in line with my own!

No comments: