Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Putting things into perspective...

You know those times when you're feeling kind of depressed, and frustrated, and maybe even unlucky (yeah, see previous post)...and then you hear something that really makes you appreciate all that you DO have? Well, last night was definitely one of those times!

I went out to dinner last night with one of my best friends and she informed me that she had sad news to tell me. An old friend of ours from college was river-tubing with her parents and a couple of her friends on the Wenatchee River last Thursday when her mom got stuck on some debris, couldn't hold on, and eventually went under and drowned. I was/am shocked!

This was a wonderful Christian woman that I had the good fortune to meet while in college. She and her husband ran a boys ranch for troubled young men near Leavenworth at the time, and they opened up the lodge there to our Christian college group. They were the sweetest hosts and you could just tell how much they loved the Lord and eachother. My friend always had the nicest stories of her parents and she just adored them.

Needless to say this caused me to think about some of the feelings that I've been having lately. I've found that it hasn't made me worry any less about the future or changed my mind on wanting good things to happen for David and I...but it has made me truly appreciate the people that I am lucky enough to have in my life. I may not have everything that I want, but I certainly have what I need.

So I feel like all I do is ask for prayers lately, but if any of you could keep the Ellis family in your prayers I'm sure they could use them right now.

**On a little bit of an offshoot...I have white-water rafted on the Wenatchee river before and always thought of it as an "easy" river because it only goes up to a class III. Several times in the past couple of weeks, I have even thought about planning a river-tubing trip on the calm stretch of river where this accident happened. Never once did I think of it as a very dangerous activity. Just a couple of days after Mrs. Ellis drowned, another woman drowned on almost the exact same stretch of river in a very similar scenario. Neither woman was wearing a life-jacket. Whether that could have helped them in any way we'll never know, but it just goes to show you that even calm looking water can be dangerous. So please, please make sure you and your loved ones wear life-jackets!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy-
So sorry about your friend's mom. Sometimes things just don't make sense. I need to read your Blog more often...find out things that matter to you!
Re: the job situation, I bet there is something better waiting. You two are such great people, the RIGHT thing must be coming. Hang in there. In the meantime, know that we love you!
Jan